Tuesday, June 10, 2008

This Passion = My Pain

Before you start thinking weird stuff, this passion I'm talking about is my passion for driving.


Let me share this story from the start. That would be 31 May, I think. That's when I realised that my available credit of about $1k has disappeared. It occured to me that I've wasted good money on stupid expenses. It was time for me to take extreme measures. The biggest sponge of my $$ is of coz my car. The combination of petrol, ERP & parking charges. Thus I was VERY determined not to use it from then on.

My workplace is very near home. I didn't drive even though my co-worker said it doesn't take much petrol to travel such short distances. I actually walked and even carried my notebook all the way there. Seriously, 1km is no joke in the hot sun. I liked the fact that I've exercised and it's a healthier lifestyle!

I took free rides from others, MRT and bus! And you know what? I actually enjoyed it! First of all, I feel like I'm a student again. You know, that carefree feeling! Secondly, I enjoy the scenery & do my things. Finally, I don't have to deal with the stress of maneuvering the car in the traffic. Give me traffic jam anytime! I don't give a damn! Ha!

So since then, I've only driven three times out of practical needs. Nope, my skills/confidence didn't dispel. However, my road rage flared more often and indepth. On those three days, after I have reached home, I would feel constant pain in my chest. I made the conclusion that driving could be the culprit of these pains and might even be the root cause of my migraine. After all, my migraine started about the time I passed my driving test.

Nah, it's either nothing, as in it's only temporary. Or that it has more serious complications which I can't be bothered to find out. I rather die not knowing if that is the case. So no point seeing a doctor who will only refer me for further tests that would waste my time (and test my patience).

Anyway, my mum ridiculed me for the above saying since driving is my passion (taking up more than 60% of my salary), how can it be the cause of my problems? Well, I did mentioned to her that I hate driving now because of all the problems and headaches. It's true. I'm so much happier taking public transport. But a car is needed at times, like when I have to fetch a trolley full of groceries back. Also when I'm going to totally out of the way places (I took 138 to the zoo!) and fetching family around.

For now, I will continue to let my car rot in the carpark. I think I've already saved about $100 since that day. Isn't that cool? I'm even considering the option of downsizing/CNGing/weekending my car.

Ja!

1 comment:

carolyn said...

Good for you :) All the walking will prep you for Shape Run. Can you imagine I totally forgot about it. Hahaha. I'm so not prepared at all.